Saturday, April 13, 2013

My Hanh met her sponsor (Guest blog by Stephen Jackel)


 On this year's visit to Vietnam I was joined for part of the trip by my good friends from New York, Paul and Kim. While on the way from Hoi An to Hue we stopped in Danang to see My Hanh and her family. She is part of CEF's Hoa Van Education Project and along with her family were recently relocated to a new housing development.

 

Paul has been sponsoring My Hanh's education for several years now and their first meeting at her new home, with her mother and other family members looking on, was quite an occasion. She was understandably nervous but I think both parties found the encounter very interesting.

And I think it is safe to say that My Hanh is now the only teenager in Danang with a T-shirt from the Brooklyn Nets basketball team. (As well as an impressive new Vietnamese-English dictionary.)



Speaking with Paul and Kim afterwards made me appreciate once again that the rewards of the CEF sponsorship program pass in both directions.

Stephen Jackel


No comments:

Post a Comment