Monday, March 19, 2018

Welcome to Marjorie ~ Guest blog by Stephen, CEF-Vietnam's USA manager

On my annual trip to Hoi An this year I was accompanied by my old friend, and CEF-Vietnam’s new friend, Marjorie Shaffer, making her first visit to Vietnam.  Marjorie, a retired journalist and current author, is volunteering to help with editing CEF letters and home visit reports and will take on the role of some sponsor communication too. She is in Vietnam to meet many of the children with whom she’ll be working. She’s also here to research cinnamon farming for her next book (her first came out a couple of years ago; it’s called Pepper).
It was interesting for me to see Marjorie’s reactions to meeting the children and their families when she accompanied CEF staffers Thuy and Vy on home visits, and made me think about my own similar experiences when I started making such visits. She was thrilled and uplifted to meet happy children who are doing well in school and whose families are grateful for the support from CEF that enables the children to look forward to a better future.  But there also is sadness in seeing the extreme poverty many children experience, as well as heartbreak when children must be told they’re not working hard enough on their studies to continue to receive support.  Sometimes it’s very difficult to be in the charity world.
In addition to her home visits, Marjorie has been enjoying the cultural and culinary delights of Vietnam, including exploring Hue with me and Danang with Linda and me. (I love Hue and always welcome an opportunity to visit.) She is now off to Hanoi, where she will sightsee for a couple of days before heading off on a tour to cinnamon farms and a homestay outside the city. 
Welcome to CEF-Vietnam, Marjorie!




No comments:

Post a Comment